I got the nicest thank you note yesterday. A faculty member in our department is expecting her first child. She is in her early thirties - about the age of my older daughters. She has lost several babies due to miscarriage. Pregnancy has been a real challenge. She has said numerous times, "I won't do this again. This has been awful." I told her she was not allowed to make that decision while she was still pregnant. That broke proper protocol. :-)
On Thursday, the department had a baby shower for she and her husband (who is also in our department). She said during the shower that neither she nor her husband had ever changed a diaper, but thought they could figure it out. They are both brilliant, so I'm guessing they'll catch on pretty quick. :-) Most people donated money, but I wanted to do a little more. I made a flannel quilt and bought a toy and a few outfits.
Here is the thank you note I received yesterday. It is shaped like a diaper, with tabs on the side inserted into the front section:
Thank you for the thoughtful baby gifts! No one has ever made a quilt for me before - it is beautiful and I will take good care of it. I read your card again when I came home and it made be cry that you wrote that the baby is lucky to have us as parents!! We'll try our best. Love...
The note made my day!
No comments:
Post a Comment