I have a contender for nicest thank you note. However, it really doesn't even belong to me.
I have always loved the quote from President Spencer W. Kimball: “God does notice us, and He watches over us. But it is usually through another person that He meets our needs”
Three weeks ago (after I “hijacked’ the welfare meeting), the only welfare topic we discussed as we exited the room was "Jones's". They are the sweetest family with lots of kids. One is waiting for a mission call. They have struggled with jobs since moving into our ward a few years ago. Because of some undiagnosed medical problems interfering with his ability to work, the father has lost his job.
Those of us exiting the welfare meeting discussed providing food from the food pantry. The thought occurred to me that what they really needed was money. With medical problems, nothing quite fills the need like cash. I felt I needed to write them out a check. I remember thinking, “This is not a good month for us. We have the boat to pay for and are remodeling three bathrooms (and we keep adding additional projects to the mix).” But that reluctant thought was immediately replaced by, “You’ll never even miss the money. You have so much cash going through your checking account this month, you'll never miss it. You are going to be down to pennies anyway. What’s another expense? And who said service is supposed to be convenient?”
That night, I took them some cinnamon rolls and a card with a check it in. This week the sweetest thank you card came. It begins with "Thank you so much for the cinnamon rolls you brought over. We enjoyed them very much. Also, thank you for the check that you included with the treats. I still don't know how to even react about that. I really don't even know what to say. I have never been given help like this before." Pretty sweet. I wish I can claim the idea as my own.
“God does notice us, and He watches over us. But it is usually through another person that He meets our needs”
No comments:
Post a Comment