We were playing human foosball. We had been planning it for a while. During Sardines, we found the PVC pipe (from the last time someone played human foosball). People that had played said it can be pretty dangerous. We brought an exercise ball and a volleyball (not knowing which would be better). After one kick, the exercise ball was selected. I think it was a good choice, as I saw several people get nailed and not be disabled. Everyime it was kicked, I swore it was going to be the end of the exercise ball - but it survived the abuse without mishap.
The activity was on Martin Luther King day, but I decided not to cancel FHE because it was our turn for the gym. Who can give up gym access? We had about 16 youth come - three girls and 13 guys. Is this even the true church when more guys come than gals? It was so fun.
After a half hour, we abandoned human foosball in favor of volleyball. Our ward is big on volleyball. One of the volleyball standards is stripped, so Steve served as the anchor. Since we had too many players, two on each team would cycle out. That gave me a chance to visit with them one on one.
One of the gals who came is an engineer for Logan City. She thinks it is cool that we are both "engineers". We always have some good laughs when we are together. We chit chatted back and forth.
I had made cream cheese apple dip - which is always a hit. People tried to guess what was in it. They slicked up every apple slice I brought.
One of the benched players, Jeff, was new to the ward. I had learned that during the weekends he serves as security for the general authorities. He hinted at amazing stories, that were too personal to share. We talked of his issues on gun control and how he learned to shoot so well. Impressive guy!
One of the young men in our ward is from our home ward. He has been un or under-employed since he graduated in economics seven years ago. Several weeks ago, he had created a YouTube video explaining the Laffer Curve. It was so creative. I told him he was a natural and should consider becoming a teacher.
During his bench time, he told me he had decided to get his PhD and was asking about admittance and letters of recommendation. It was a good feeling to know that I had helped him to find direction. I told him I would be happy to write a letter of recommendation telling people what a great guy he was, but obviously could not comment on his academic abilities. He said, "I may need that. I'll keep you in mind."
I saw Jeff give me a double take, wondering why the 1st counselors wife is giving advice on PhDs. I loved it! I will really miss this calling when Steve is released, but I am reminded that callings are divided into minutes. If the minutes are successful, the calling has been successful - even if we don't serve the full length.
1 comment:
I like that - callings are divided into minutes. Life is too, and even though sometimes the timing isn't what we expected or dreamed of, I think it is in how we spend the minutes that counts. I guess I need to graduate from "cheesy romance" books as Chelle puts it and spend my time in better pursuits!
Post a Comment