Sunday, January 20, 2013

Journal Keeping

A friend loaned me a book about a woman with Early Onset Alzheimers. The book had far too many F-bombs for my liking, so I won't even tell you the name. I found this interchange touching:

"You're so beautiful," said Alice. "I'm so afraid of looking at you and not knowing who you are."

"I think that even if you don't know who I am someday, you'll still know that I love you."

"What if I see you, and I don't know that you're my daughter, and I don't know that you love me?"

"Then, I"ll tell you that I do, and you'll believe me."

Alice liked that. But will I always love her? Does my love for her reside in my head or in my heart?

******* While the book isn't true, it is written from the vantage point of the Alzheimer victim. I wish more people going through tough times would record what its like.

I picked up a book on CD on my last trip to the library. I grabbed, "Here if you need me." - a true story about about a warden chaplain. Since I only listen to it going to and from work, I'm only a few CD's into it, but am touched with her story. Her husband dies early in the book, and she talks about coping with the grief. Like I say, I like books that deal with real issues.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Me, I like pure fiction, but fiction that sounds like real life. I don't want to add to the sorrows I already feel.

Well, I do like some real-life stories, just 'cause I feel virtuous reading something heavier once in a while. But I really like escape into a different world, not more sorrows from this one.