Saturday, January 26, 2013

Did I miss the memo?

We have been having some terrible weather. The poor air quality ranks us the worst in the nation. Sub-zero temperatures are rampant. On Thursday, the freezing rain turned my car into an instant ice ball as I left for work. Walking from the car to the building was horrible. I drug myself up the steps to Old Main by clinging to the ice covered railing.

On Friday morning, I left for work at 7:30. The frozen rain made the roads slick. The fog was incredible. I couldn't see twenty feet. I was going twenty miles at hour tops, and saw absolutely no one. I left my subdivision. I got to the field road. I traveled past the school crossing. I saw no cars, no people, nothing. All of a sudden, I had the thought, "Travel is so dangerous. We have been told not to leave our homes. Everybody knows it but me. I didn't get the memo."

By the time I got to Cliffside, I finally saw a few cars, crawling along. If they got further than a few car lengths away, they completely disappeared. I had to concentrate to figure out where I was, so I didn't turn early or end up in the river. My co-worker said he turned too soon and ended up in a business parking lot downtown.

I was so relieved to get to work. Next time, I'm so looking for the memo.

No comments: