Monday, January 14, 2013

Sardines

I have played sardines (also known as "hide with me") with children, but would never have thought of doing it for an FHE. It was a blast. We had about 30 come, which is really good for us. One person hides in the church. Then everybody searches for them. Whoever finds them, hides with them. When the last person has found the (then) crowd of hiders, the game begins again.

Abby was the first person to hide. Our build is old. There are multiple odd rooms, two entrances to the basement, nooks I had never explored. You are wandering around peeking into closets, under tables. Eventually, you notice that you aren't seeing the other players and realize you must be one of the last to discover the hider. Abby had hidden behind the organ she plays every Sunday. There is a little room to hold music stands and the like. When I found her, there were about ten others already there. After three seconds, I made my exit knowing my claustrophobia was not going to tolerate actually hiding with a bunch of other people in a tiny room.

Kevin was the next one to hide. I never did find him. Evidently there was an attic above Abby's hiding place. Who knew?

Jake hid off the stage, and uncovered a stash of pvc pipe that had been used for human foosball. What a find!

My favorite hiding place was Kathryn and Cassidy, who hid together. We couldn't find them anywhere. It was getting near the end of the activity so most of us sat in the RS room eating treats instead of actively searching. We wondered if they had gone home. Finally, we rallied the troops and set off again. I had been in the high counsel room each time someone had hidden. I was sure crouching under the long table would be a great hiding place. This time as I entered, Nick suggested I look behind the chair in the mothers nursing room (Like I say, this is an OLD building.) What I didn't know was that he was just trying to get me out of the high counsel room. Kathryn and Cassidy were standing in the window sill, behind the curtain. Nick had actually found them, but was unwilling to get into the window sill with them. We all had a good laugh.

No comments: