Two of our assistant professors would have gone up for tenure next year. They were married to each other. One left in August for another position in Texas. She said, "I don't think I ever would have gotten tenure at USU". I think she would have as she was terrific, but still her perception was that she wouldn't. She got a $27K increase in salary at her new university. She left behind her husband and two year old son.
Her husband informed us he was also jumping ship four days before classes started this Spring semester. He was scheduled to teach. We had just had his tenure evaluation meetings and written the letters. By the time he informed anyone he was leaving, he had cleared out his office. He left without explanation and without a forwarding address. Evidently he took an industrial position closer to his family.
Another one of our assistant professors goes up for tenure this year. I just learned that the dean turned him down for tenure because of insufficient funding. This guy is AMAZING. He has an incredible publication record, he is a beloved teacher, he is great on committees. He is the perfect colleague. His funding isn't abysmal - it just isn't at the level the dean requires. (As you may recall, we were forced to change colleges, so this is a new dean for us.)
It is so discouraging. This dean expects MIT grant acquisition, without providing MIT salaries, MIT caliber students, MIT connections, or MIT resources.
I got the following note from this colleague:
Just wanted to say thanks for all your support. I always think about writing a book about our jobs in academia, the title would be "Managing Failure". It would be all about how the constant barrage of negativity from grant reviewers, paper reviewers, admin, students, and colleagues can be turned into something positive. So I very much appreciate hearing some kind thoughts, though you are ruining my book :-)
This makes me so sad. I feel badly for my colleague, but it is terrible for the department.
1 comment:
I hate it when the politics of the job become unbearable. It is hard to deal with constantly changing personnel, and hard to have all the drama all the time.
Post a Comment