Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ten Thousand Step Challenge

Through work, we've been challenged to increase the steps we take each day to 10,000. I really need to drag out my pedometer, but without even measuring, I'm sure I'm WAY short of that goal. I counted my steps across campus - about a 15 minute walk, and only got to 1000. I'm figuring 10,000 is a lot of time exercising. I'm guessing there are days I don't walk more than a thousand steps.

Below are some easy ways to increase the number of steps you take each day.
  1. Walk in place or pace when on the phone.
  2. Get up during each commercial and walk around until the television program begins again. Even better, walk in place during the television program.
  3. Use a restroom that's farther from your office or on a different floor.
  4. Take the stairs.
  5. Park farther away than you normally do.
  6. Go to people's offices instead of using the phone or e-mail.
  7. Take a walk at lunch and then eat at your desk.
I figure today has been a good day. I shopped all morning, took a walk this afternoon, and have been up and down the stairs a dozen times to answer the door for trick or treaters. I'm going to need to work a little harder the rest of the week.

How about it? Will you take the challenge?

2 comments:

Cherri said...

I am so impressed - you have turned into a blogger! I am just a blog stalker - making a few comments here and there, but you are actually blogging. Do you plan to use if for your history this year? I know there are sites that will take your blog posts and pictures and create a permanent record. I am also impressed that you are challenging yourself to 10.000 steps. I try, but most days only get 5000. Gotta improve for sure.

Chelle said...

I don't know if I will ever get to 1,000 steps. I need to get better at walking more. I was talking to Ben about and we both agreed that we aren't nearly as active as we should be. I think I should try to walk more...maybe even break 5,000 :)