Last night we went to an event in Salt Lake where alumni of our program gathered to visit. There were finger foods and a "bingo" game where the cells were signed by people having a specific characteristic "more computers than kids", etc. I wasn't really excited to go, but felt I needed to support the department.
There were over fifty people who came. We had such a great time visiting, remembering old times, seeing pictures of their children, learning about their jobs. I visited non-stop for two hours. I barely ate, didn't play the game, and didn't even notice prizes being given out. I had forgotten far more people than I remembered, but it was so fun to reconnect. Some lingered around just waiting for a private moment to tell me thanks for getting them through or saying they were actually using that 'game theory' we discussed in multi-agents.
On the way home, I asked myself, "Would I have traveled to such an event to reconnect with my old college professors?" I loved school. I enjoyed my teachers. I was very vocal in class and had good relationships with my teachers, but I doubt I would have traveled for an hour or more to spend an evening with them. As I thought about that, I felt even more blessed to have the best job in the world - (except for being a mom, of course).
1 comment:
Sounds like fun! We try to make it when the CS department comes to Boise. It is fun to chat with people and reconnect. Glad you enjoyed it!
Post a Comment