Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Personal History Challenge

A dear friend is offering a Personal History class - once a month - as part of Relief Society enrichment (or whatever we are calling those meetings these days).

Our first assignment is this: Write an introduction to your history - why you are writing it. Give the history a title. And write about birth to age five.

I have so few memories of birth to age five, it should be easy. You have a month. I'll post mine if you'll post yours.

Here is my first cut at a title and introduction:

IF THIS IS THE ANSWER, WHAT IS THE QUESTION?
A teacher’s attempt to make the most of life’s experiences.


I am an analyzer. I problem solve. I reason about how things can be improved.

I am a teacher by profession, and as a Mother, I view myself primarily as a teacher.

I hate to waste things – money, time, opportunity, food.

Joseph Smith (while prisoner in the Liberty Jail) was told, “all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.” D&C 122:7. I think about that a lot. When going through difficult times, I often tell the Lord (only partially in jest), “I think I’ve learned what I needed to from this challenge. You can take it away now.” I don’t want to be a slow learner and have to go through it again!

This book is my attempt to use my experiences – to help others and spur me to greater heights.

No comments: