Saturday, October 24, 2009

I'm a Fan

One of my darling Young Women (who is married with a family of her own) has a blog I just love. Her topic for the day was "Fan Friday" - where she talks about things she is a fan of. I'd like to add my own entry.

I'm a fan of Goodreads! I only started using it a few months ago, but I'm a fan. I have such a hard time finding books I like. With Goodreads, I can get ideas from other friends. There is one friend who is a kindred spirit. If she likes the book, I'll like the book too. I must have six books I've already checked out and can't wait to read. This is definitely something I've never experienced before.

One of the books I just finished is "Mary, Martha, and Me" by Camille Fronk Olson. The whole book is great, but I was particularly interested in this passage:

From either side of the comparison, condemnation stings. Regardless of which path is chosen, someone will certainly criticize that choice. I considered declining further invitations to speak when a woman commented at a “Know Your Religion” lecture, “After hearing you, I felt discouraged because I will never know the scriptures as well. But then I thought, instead of going to school, I chose to follow the prophet – I married and had a family.” Without knowing my choices, she had judged me as disobedient and seemed doubly irked that I was happy about it. I was reminded that I had not embarked on a career path as my first choice but was led to it by a power greater than I.


I'm guessing all of us have had interactions that resemble this one. So WHY do we do that to each other? I'm definitely not a fan of people who judge me or seem self-righteous.

1 comment:

kjha said...

1. Darling?
2. I read that book and I love it! You'll also notice on my blog my books...try them?
3. I saw you at conference today and couldn't get to you to say hello...wish I could've!