Saturday, June 11, 2011

You know you're an engineer if...

You know you're an engineer if... the provost and both deans say you are switching colleges.

We fought being merged with Electrical and Computer Engineering and they have allowed us to stay as a separate department, if we make the follow concessions:

1. Our department head go on sabbatical for a year starting July 1.
2. We do a national search for a new department head.
3. We move to the college of engineering
4. We give up a faculty position (for someone that had already decided to leave the university).

Lots of changes.

3 comments:

Cherri said...

It sounds to me like the move was thought of as a way to deal with a department head they didn't like. Pretty drastic way to avoid a conversation. I hope things work out for the best. I guess they didn't want to elevate someone internally that already was in the department?

Vicki said...

Very perceptive! I think it was both. They wanted to get rid of the department head AND engineering wanted to have us under their control. I suppose someone within the department could apply, but I don't know of anyone who would take it.

Lori A said...

I hope that things go smoothly. Sounds like a lot of changes. It will be weird to have a different department head. Hasn't he been department head for as long as you've been there? He's the only one I can remember, at least.

It all sounds kind of crazy!