Saturday, June 11, 2011

I can taste the love

Working in Relief Society, I see a lot of service being given one to another. One thing I've noticed is that some people are a lot easier to do things for than others. When service is spontaneous, rather than assigned, I see some people getting all kinds of things done for them and others the bare minimum - even though the needs of the two families are similar. I think it has to do with feeling their gratitude. While I do believe that most people don't serve to be recognized or to get thanks, when there is no thanks and no appreciation, the joy of service seems to be seriously squashed. We take in a lot of meals, but I don't believe the meals are about taking care of one's physical needs. Most people in our neighborhood can afford to pick up Papa Murphys or Rumbis. Taking in food is about showing love - pure and simple.





Merlene Ivie has got to be one of the neatest people to serve. She and Boyd have had a ton of health problems this past year or two. EVERYBODY wants to do things for them because they are so wonderful to give thanks. The last time I took bread over to them, Merlene called immediately and said, "We sure appreciate the bread Steve brought over. The thing that is so special about your bread is the love you put in it." I laughed and told her that she was a special woman who could taste the love. I think that is the secret - being able to recognize the love. What you're given may not be exactly what you wanted, may be too much for your needs, may not be your favorite recipe, and may be a duplicate of what someone else brought - but if you can recognize the love, you are truly grateful.

2 comments:

Cherri said...

So true - I think you should send some of that love my way!

I'm looking forward to Chelle's shower!

The Sullengers said...

I love this post - its so true and I've never really thought about tasting the love...I'll never complain again :)