Thursday, June 23, 2011

Is this monopoly money?

The last time I was to the dermatologist for wart removal, I asked about a few small milia that I typically dig out. They were (of course) appalled that I would dig them and and suggested I should have microderm abrasion. Well, its been six months, and the milia are back. I called to see if there was something I could do to remove the milia that would not be considered strictly cosmetic (and immune to health insurance coverage). They said, "No", but that I should come in for a free cosmetic analysis.

While the tech said my skin was good, if I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, she would suggest:

1. Botox, around my eyes and eyebrow $150-$400, lasts up to six months
2. Filler, around my nasolabial folds (between nose and corners of mouth), $550, lasts up to 12 months
3. Chemical Peels, package of 6 treatments, for $750. Expect a few days of "down time"
4. HydraFacial - package of 6 treatments for $600

She also recommended some good serums to rebuild skin
a. Kinerase Advanced Repair Serum .5 fluid oz - $132
b. Skinmedica, TNS Essential Serum, 1 oz - $250
c. TNS Illuminating Eye Cream (to thicken skin under eyes), .5 oz $80

She also recommended some sunscreen that is a tinted powder, so it can go over your makeup. .21 oz, $50

I did find the serums and sunscreen online at somewhat cheaper.

So is this monopoly money? Do people really pay that much to hide a wrinkle or two? A permanent solution or one paid for by my insurance may get a second glance, but this is major money for something I doubt anyone but me would notice.

There was a residual effect, however. I decided I could afford some high end over the counter moisturizer with 30 SPF.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Crazy, huh? I personally think my wrinkles distinguished, and love faces that show reality. I have seen botox faces, that are stiff and plastic looking. Now the age spots - those i COULD do without!