Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Use it up, wear it out...

Dad used to always say, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." He lived it too. If you needed a nail, a piece of plywood, a section of garden hose, a smidgen of paint (Dad used to say smidgen a lot) - he had it. It's that growing up during the depression.

Mom caught the vision too. Sometimes I would drop in and she would be making rolls, or pie, or whatever. I would ask her what motivated the baking. She would often say, "Oh, I had some sour cream that was getting old so I decided to use it up."

I know I definitely caught the vision as well. I will often start cooking with the sole aim of using up my eggs before they get old. Steve always says I am nuts - just throw them out. I point out that the starving people in China wouldn't be throwing out food, so I won't either. (As kids, when we didn't eat our dinner, we were always made to feel guilty because of the starving people in China.)

I do think I am taking a bit too far now, however. I was visiting one of my extractors (Clarice) and we started talking about quilts. She showed me a neat book she had on quilts. I asked, "Were you a dedicated quilter?" She responded, "Oh yes. I was homemaking leader for a hundred years. We used to have three quilts on every month - one to tie, one to quilt, and a baby quilt. We used to sell them at the Relief Society Bazaar." Then she continued, "I don't do that any more. Several years ago I went through my closet and gave away SEVEN BOXES of material. Just recently, I found another box of fabric - called whipped cream. They don't make that any more. I decided I'd make it all up in baby quilts for my grand children (to come). They're all ready now and I'm done quilting."

Well, that got me to thinking. I have at least seven boxes of fabric that I have bought for quilts. (My motto is, when something is on sale, buy a LOT of it. But I don't even quilt - I just tie and have no real sewing talent.) I decided I should make up all the quilts I have so I can use up the fabric and the batting I have stashed away. I can't believe how many quilts I have fabric for. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them. The baby quilts will be great for future grandchildren - but the queen and kingsized quilts? Who is going to want all of them. And they are not gorgeous fabrics. I have a lot of red/white/blue and some wild prints that would make anyone want to keep their bed made. So, when I die and you find this hoard of oddly colored quilts that look like new - you'll know, I was just using it up, wearing it out, making it do, or doing with lots...

1 comment:

kjha said...

Hi Vicki! I love your blog...can't wait to read more. If it makes you feel any better, we use the blanket (you gave it to me when I had my first baby 9 years ago) EVERYDAY! It's in the porta crib where my current baby naps. She loves it. Here's my blog: http://thatslife-kjha.blogspot.com/
Love, Kathryn, always a Young Woman :)