Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Don't you love computers?

We met Josh Miller (an old neighbor) in the grocery store. Such a cute guy. Steve and Josh got talking about four wheeling. Josh says that after he goes mountain biking, he pulls an image of the mountain from google earth and (with the help of a trail book) charts the course he took! So he knows where on the mountain he has already been.

Recently a former student (Karren Perry) wrote me (and lots of others) to see if we would put a link to her blog. She and her husband are trying to adopt. They have learned that adopting takes a lot of networking, so they have created a blog showing them. The more people that put a link to the blog, the higher up it goes on google's page ranking - and the more likely someone will find their page and pick them. Neat idea!

In ward welfare meeting, we were talking about ideas for a "provident living" newsletter. Someone said, "How about sharing the website for GrocerySmarts?" It is a very cool website. I don't know if they have it in all states, but I can click on the stores in my area. It shows me what they have on special, marks the really good buys with five red stars, and even gives me a link to printable coupons for the item (so I get a sale price AND a coupon). Grandma Hurst would have loved it! (She used to call me to tell me about good prices at the grocery store. "Nuts are on sale at Smiths. You need to get them for dipping.") While I know good prices on things I buy all the time, it points out special deals on vitamins, laundry soap, and makeup. No more reading through the ads.


Recently I was buying nylons from my favorite mail order catalog - One Hanes Place. I always hate trying to find my size, my color, and reinforced toes. And do I really want the saleslady knowing when I move to "QueenSize"? Being able to just order what I want is great. I always buy a ton - as shipping is high. Well, recently, I googled "One Hanes Place coupons" and found a coupon code that gave me free shipping - just like that.

Well, I know I'm boring you to tears - but it was news to me!

No comments: