Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Myth: It is better to remain silent

There is a saying, "It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt." It is a myth. Some students never ask questions. They assume you will think they know everything as they have no questions, but they are wrong. Why would that be a logical conclusion? Those who are learning are asking question. I can tell so much about what a person understands from the questions they ask. I just gave a test today. The two students who got nearly perfect scores were no surprise. I had known they were extremely talented - from their questions!

I love the statement by Joseph McConkie (son of Bruce R.): "My father and grandfathers had a great love of the gospel and were marvelous sources of understanding. I have, however, a distinct memory of the occasion when I went to my father with some gospel questions only to receive the following response: “Look, Junior, you have the same sources available to you as I have to me.” More important than any answers these men gave to my questions was their teaching me how to get answers for myself. They are now gone. Questions continue, as does the confidence that the same sources that were available to them are available to me."

I love it both for the message and for the fact that Joseph McConkie admits he has questions. In listening to a BYUI devotional the other day, the speaker said that true disciples never question. I found that offensive. It is okay to have questions. I think true disciples have a desire to believe versus a critical attitude, but it is okay to question as that is how you understand. So much of the Doctrine and Covenants is answers to questions.

Some say, "I have always known the church is true." While that is great for them, it is difficult to pass that along.

I question, but the gospel is a package deal, not a smorgasbord where you pick up the chocolate covered strawberries and leave the three bean salad. Either Joseph Smith is who he says he is and the Book or Mormon was received and translated as he said it was or Joseph Smith is a fraud. You can't have it both ways. You can't pick and choose. There is no middle ground. Like puzzle pieces you can't quite place - you don't throw them away because they don't fit yet. You place them to the side until their role in the puzzle is clear. Plural marriage is one of those misfit puzzle pieces for me. Yet, the rest of the puzzle is a thing of beauty and growing each year. I'll just put the plural marriage piece to the side (or maybe throw it off the table altogether) for now.

No comments: