Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Offering Is Accepted..

We attended the Young Women camp silent auction tonight. It was well done - door prizes, entertainment, good food, lots to buy. The young women had contributed items, but ward members were also involved in donating. I hadn't been to one of these fund raisers before, so I didn't know what to expect. There were some handmade items, a twin mattress, some games, a photo shoot, Mary Kay cosmetics, meals, cinnamon rolls, a baby blanket. I acquired the most unusual item. One of the young men had made roses out of duct tape. He stood back from the crowd and watched the reaction to his roses. To me he said, "I sure hope someone buys those, because I made them." I didn't know what I would do with duct tape roses, so I didn't sign auction sheet. As I ate my dinner, I realized that I really needed to buy them. The minimum bid was $5, but I figured they were "worth" at least twice that. I was the only bidder.

I haven't figured out where to keep them, but every time I see them I will remember Colton and his desire to have his contribution accepted and appreciated. Aren't we all like that? Some of us are not so open as to admit, "I sure hope someone buys those" but everyone one of us needs to feel like we are enough.

Thanks, Colton! The message was well worth the ten bucks.

4 comments:

trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trish said...

Your ward always does such neat things and the activities are always well-supported. I might have to get me some duct tape roses. They would be perfect for a less-than-gentle 2-year-old.

The Sullengers said...

How nice of you! We just had ours and it was a huge success and so fun. We did a live auction though and I was impressed with how much things went for! Dessert for $20! And much much more! Anyway, I'm glad it was fun!

Lori A said...

Very cute! I understand Colton's feeling.