Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Janis Ian

We went to see Janis Ian last night as part of a collection of performances we bought tickets to. She is a folk singer from the sixties. She is my age, almost exactly. SO, tell me I don't look this old.


The event was poorly attended - maybe a third full.

The performance was an interesting one. Her songs were all stories, "At Seventeen" and "Society's Child" were ones my friends recognized from the sixties. I only recognized the first. At the time she wrote them, they were quite controversial. She told of being booed off the stage because of Society's Child. She had an interesting perspective on growing up in the sixties - racial bias, Viet Nam, the role of women.

Her perspective on being lesbian was insightful. She talked about being married in Toronto to her partner of twenty years. She had felt it was "just a piece of paper", but was very moved by the experience. She said, "Finally, our relationship was accepted by a nation." I appreciated understanding that emotion.

I will never forgive her for using the f-bomb in a song. Her manager had asked her, "Can you do your show in Logan Utah?" She knew she was playing before a conservative audience, yet didn't care. I just don't understand why people feel the need to use that word!

4 comments:

Cherri said...

She looks like your mom's age to me! I went to a presentation on computer science today at BYUI. He did a great job. My favorite slide in his slide show showed a CS grad and all other sciences were bowing down to him - the physicist, the engineer, the doctor, the biologist, it was funny. My friend went to the engineering presentation, where the student there talked of how he went to BYU-Provo and failed calculus twice and business calc once, then transferred to BYUI where he has a perfect 4.0. Hmmmmm... either he matured a heck of a lot, or things don't add up. And why, why, why would you tell a group of high school math nerds that you failed calculus three times, but you wanted to be an engineer so much that you changed colleges and miraculously have a 4.0. Either he doesn't understand how that sounds to us, or his point had something to do with perseverance, but most of us just thought of grade inflation!

The Sullengers said...

You do not look that old - I promise!!!

btuck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
btuck said...

You definitely do not look her age, but I'd like to see your hair puffy like that...
-Trisha