Last night we went to see the 5 Browns with our good friends. They are five siblings who are all Julliard trained classical piano players. Today, I was giving an exam and decided I wanted to look up their ages. Since I was in a media equipped classroom, I decided just to use the computer in the room. My google search revealed that they are between 32 and 25, originally born in Houston. The each showed amazing talent and interest in the piano at age three. They were home schooled, which evidently gave them the freedom to attend Juliard at the same time. My google searching was going great until I landed on a website which just started playing one of their songs - loudly, getting attention throughout the classroom. I couldn't kill the window fast enough. It was a "classic moment" to be sure. It was pretty funny.
They have been in the news recently for bringing suit against their father for abusing the girls over an eight year period. The father pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentencing. I didn't expect them to say anything about the court case, but they did. At the beginning, the older brother said something like, "Thanks for supporting us at this difficult time. Being able to play for you is what we love." How absolutely horrible it would be to make the decision to turn your father in, knowing that would mean he would be in prison for years. Can you imagine the rift that would create between you and both of your parents, to say nothing of extended family? I can't imagine.
The performance was delightful. At the end, being as it is Cache Valley, there was the 'required' standing ovation. The performers ate it up - coming out for curtain call after curtain call. They performed one more number, but in a later curtain call, almost spontaneously, the older brother decided to sing a song. He is not a singer, but the message was poignant:
When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you
When high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth
Tears sprang to my eyes. The middle daughter was very emotional and crossed her arms over her heart signifying love for the audience. I was touched. Likely, the love and support they feel in performing is what is keeping them sane.

No comments:
Post a Comment