Thirty eight years ago, when Steve and I were married, my folks hadn't been in their home long. Our reception was to be held there - the line in the living room and tables set up in the back yard. That Spring, Dad had removed the sod in the back half of the yard to plant a garden. As we worried about how everything would look, we pressured Dad into getting a redwood fence in place to hide the garden. I wondered whether it would ever be put up in time. I remember Dad saying, "So what if it isn't? What is more beautiful that a garden?" Well, the fence was installed before our reception and everything looked great. One of the highlights was the Sigma Gamma Chi fraternity (which Steve belonged to) coming and serenading us. So special!
However, I find myself repeating Dad's words. With no access to Dad's garden anymore and the back of our yard dense with trees (ours and the neighbor's), the only place to plant vegetables is in our front yard. This year we put up some awesome tomato cages (which Steve made). I can't believe how high the tomatoes have grown - especially for such a miserable Spring. Who knew they would be four feet tall, and growing. Steve keeps saying, "I wonder how the neighbors like our huge tomato cages in the front yard?" I say, "I think the tomatoes are beautiful. What is more beautiful that a garden?"
2 comments:
This has been my best garden year ever (could have something to do with the fact that I actually have time to pull weeds this year, dya think?). It will be beautiful for a couple more weeks, until the potatoe vines decide they are too tall to stand upright anymore. Jill claims Dad would check out her garden first if he came to visit, so you are just making things easier for folks of a similar mind.
I too worried about having an 'unsightly' garden right where everyone could see it...how wrong I was...it's one of the most beautiful parts of our home! I will be sad to see it end in the winter :(
Post a Comment