Saturday, July 31, 2010

Stop Drop and Roll

On Wednesday as we were picking up the kids from preschool, there was much excitement about the grass fires in Eagle. The area affected involved Lori’s ward – and several families were evacuated. She was in contact with friends over facebook and on the phone. More than 300 fire fighters and 50 fire trucks rushed to the scene. We watched the smoke filled sky and heard the planes go overhead.

I told them about my experience with fire when I was five. It was before my kindergarten year. The neighbors had a birthday party. The favors were a squirt flower. The cake with lit candles was placed along side a quart jar of water on the porch. As I bent over to fill my gag flower, my dress caught on fire. Instead of “stop, drop, and roll”, I ran and the fire got bigger and bigger.
The kids were quite alarmed with the story. Several times over the next few days Drew would tell me, “You didn’t stop, and the flames got bigger and bigger.”


Here are pictures of them practicing “stop, drop, and roll”.



2 comments:

Chelle said...

So cute. I love the action shots.

Lori A said...

Those pictures are so funny! They were hard to get because the kids kept dropping and rolling! They have learned their lesson. Drew was telling me the other day that if we caught on fire we stop, drop, and roll, so we don't get burnt like Grandma Vicki. And then he asks to hear the story again. Then he tells me, "Grandma didn't stop and the fire got bigger."