When I was a kid, I remember going to Hyrum Dam and being eaten alive my mosquitos. I remember a bunch of us kids running into the car and smashing mosquitoes against the glass. I sat their thinking, "Why did Heavenly Father make mosquitoes?" I could see no purpose. To this day, I am still trying to figure out why God lets all the negative things happen in our lives...
Sometimes I just don’t sleep. I go to sleep, and wake up an hour later. I toss and turn, doze off, and within an hour I’m awake again. I change beds, read a book, listen to BYUI devotionals. On Sunday night, I had one of those nights. I listened to four BYUI devotionals before I finally got to sleep near 4 a.m.. I’ve listened to all the current devotionals, so I’ve started searching “all years” by topic..
One talk I quite liked was Hearing the Voice of the Spirit by Ned C. Hill, on March 11, 2008. I recommend the whole talk, but here are a few of his pointers.
Guideline 1: We Must Do Our Homework First.
Guideline 2: By Keeping the Commandments We Tune Our Spiritual Receiver.
Guideline 3: Minimize Competition with the Voice of the Spirit.
Guideline 4: Seek out Places Where the Spirit is More Likely.
Guideline 5: Practice Listening to the Spirit’s Voice by Serving Others.
Guideline 6: Practice Listening to the Voice of the Spirit through Scriptures and General Conference.
Guideline 7: Learn to Differentiate the Spirit’s Voice from Imitators.
Guideline 8: Avoid Boasting about Spiritual Matters.
Guideline 9: Recognize that Sometimes the Answer is “No” or “Not What I Wanted”
But, back to my insomnia… I try to blame my cholesterol medication (Crestor) for my sleepless nights. I had a great deal of trouble getting used to it. The doctor prescribed a dose every evening. I had a whole week of sleepless nights. After a google search, I learned I was not alone. I started taking the medicine in the morning half as often. The problems were much less. However, because of that early experience, I still blame Crestor for my occasional lack of sleep.
After Sunday night, I said to myself, “Do you REALLY need to take Crestor? Can’t you control cholesterol through other means?” I know the doctor told me things to do like increase fiber, exercise, and intake of Omega-3 and decrease weight and intake of animal products. After six months of trying, my cholesterol was still too high and he put me on medication. That was a few years ago. However, I didn’t really try all that hard. In the intervening years, I’ve made some progress – increasing exercise and fiber and taking fish oil capsules, but I could do more. Now, I am motivated. I am going to bring my cholesterol down so I can get off medication. Then, if I can’t sleep, I’ll know I’ve done what I can.
I’ve decided that sometimes we need to have bad things happen in our lives to motivate us to change.
3 comments:
I hate it when you can't sleep! I just had the same experience last night! Hope it gets better!
have you tried simple sleeping pills? It probably is mostly in my head, but when I take an equate pain PM capsule, I sleep for 7 uninterrupted hours. I probably am ruining my liver or something, but you try just the sleeping pill part.
I have tried sleeping pills. The story is about the same, except that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY tired and still can't sleep.
Post a Comment