Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Service Auction

We had such a great YSA activity last night. It was a sub-for-santa service auction. The young single adults volunteered their services which were purchased by other YSAs. The proceeds are going to a family identified by one of the area bishops as being in need this Christmas.

The Elders quorum president (Chase) contributed dinner and sledding with he and his two roommates. This was a hot item, going for well over $60. I was a bit surprised at some of the gals that jumped into the bidding. Halfway through the bidding Chase said, "When we do dinner, that usually means we eat out." Then the bids took a jump in price. I can't remember who won, but it was hilarious.

One of the fellows (who teaches computing at Bridgerland) volunteered his services for a hair cut. Nick said he had five years of experience. Then the jokes started in, "So, did you cut your own hair?" He said, "No, but I can cut women's hair, grey hair (looking at dad). I can even do a color job." Jonathan piped up with, "I'll buy it for ten dollars to save others the agony of a haircut by Nick." Everybody laughed.

Sarah volunteered sparkly Gel toenails. Chase could no way figure it out. So is it applied by a brush? Can I do it myself so no one has to touch my toes? I couldn't do that. Ryan (the Athletic VP on campus) said, "I'll buy it for brother Allan, but he's got to wear sandals to church so I can see the results." The laughter continued.

The bishop's 11 year old son got into the bidding. Since he was bidding with his Dad's money, he couldn't be beat. He was so cute about it.

The Fronk sisters (who never come to FHE because they spend Monday nights with their own family) were there with pies, eclairs, sewing lessons, and a beaded choker. Those items pulled high bids, so I was delighted their efforts to support the activity were received with open mouths.

Fred auctioned off his artistic skills to draw a portrait. Nick (our activites chair) offered 15 minutes of TV time on comcast. The bishop bought it, saying we were going to broadcast a ward talent show with the time.

Leslie (our RS president) ended up with several dates she won - one with Jesse (three years her junior).

They must have contacted local businesses for donations as well as there was a gift certificate to Olive Garden, movie tickets, and ski passes that were also auctioned off.

It was a great activity that netted well over $800. Next Monday we'll wrap and buy the presents. I've seen service auctions in a regular ward, but it was really fun in a singles ward.

No comments: