Friday, December 9, 2011

The hardest conjugation

Carol Lynn Pearson said about death...
Putting you
In the past tense
Was, I'm afraid,
The hardest
Conjugation
I ever made.


I saw that today as Steve and I went to his Aunt Kaye Rees' funeral in Salt Lake. Before the funeral, we talked to Uncle Vincent. Steve had shown me the home they used to live in, but it was different than I remembered so I asked Vincent their old address and where he lives now. He kept saying "We live..." and "They take care of us really well there" and "They come into clean for us once a week". He is 99. They have been married for 71 years. Past tense is going to continue to be a tough conjugation.

A funny thing someone said at the funeral: I find myself thinking a lot about the hereafter. I go into a room and ask, "Now what am I here after?"

No comments: