It was Floy Scott's funeral today. I actually like funerals. For people in our ward, I often only know them as an old person. I love to learn about their live as a young adult, newlywed, and parent. It is also fun to visit with those who are there to provide the funeral luncheon. Mary Cherrington is such a doll to always bring rolls for 150. I told her she was earning points in heaven. She said, "I really like to do it. While I'm making rolls for their funeral, I think about the person. It is really 'my time' with them." I thought that was sweet. Mary said that her mother made the comment, "I do NOT want a luncheon put on by the Relief Society when I die. I've done FAR too many luncheons for others to want them to go through the effort for me. I've set aside money so you can cater my funeral luncheon." We laughed, but Mary said, "People want to serve. I don't think she is thinking about that part of the luncheon."
At the funeral, one of the sons was praising Floy saying, "If you could think of a single word to describe mom, it would be 'kind'. She was always serving others. When she was in the rehabilitation center for so long, I would call each day. One time I said, 'remember your prayers' - such an odd thing to be saying to your parent who taught you how to pray. She said, 'Oh, I remember them and for the first time, I'm praying for me.'" I thought that was pretty sweet.
1 comment:
I love that you write down the important and sweet things people say to you - I need to be more detailed about my day to day life so I won't forget
Post a Comment