Sunday, February 14, 2010

Great Grandma's Genes

During Halle's surgery on Friday, I got to spend the time with Zach. He is such a character. He just keeps talking all the time. I started writing down what he said. Here's a smattering of his conversation over a few minute's time, which starts as I am studying in front of the TV when he comes up the stairs first thing in the morning:

Zach: My clock is blinking. Can you make the clock stop blinking [there had been a power outage].
Me: Yes, I think I know how to make it stop blinking. Is that your monkey?
Zach: No, it is cat. Cat loves you. You are going to stay for a long time, right? [We fix the clock and settle down on the couch to watch his show.]
Zach: Don't open that book [looseleaf], Ok? It's too big for cat. That book is too big for cat. We don't open it. [We start watching Dinosaur Train.]
Zach: Can I share your blanket? Who are you writing. Can you write my name there at the bottom. Can I tell you how to spell my name. ZACH. Can you write Greg's name? Can you show me how to spell Ben and Chelle's name. Put the names on the bottom, okay? Is that good? [Back to the show.]
Zach: Tiny has a beak. I think its a boy. When this show is done, can we watch another one? Do you know how to? Velosoraptor's have feathers on the arms. Buddy can't fly. Buddy can't fly - no feathers. You can have amazing teeth too, AHHHH!
Me: Why is there a dinosaur on the top of the train?
Zach: It wants to see things. I think he's a girl. See that penguin over there [on the floor]? I think its from Madagascar. [The show finishes and we eat breakfast. I'm sitting next to the table.]
Zach: You want that light on?
Me: No, I'm okay.
Zack: I'll turn that light on. You love it on. You want some candy hearts? How about I get two orange ones for me and two yellow ones for you. Is that good? Grandma, my Mom and Dad are doing Halle's Belly Button so she's okay. Hey Grandma, I could be done. Those flowers [roses Brandon bought for Trisha] have pokies on them. We don't take them off. They smell good. I could be done. How about one more bite?
Me: How about five?
Zach: Okay, you count. One comes first. And two comes after that. Grandma, two, three, four. Now one more. I'm done. You can read your big book while I'm in the tubby. You can lay on the bed and read your book. [He gets into the tub.]
Zach: Grandma, we have a big book. I'm not in it, just Mom and Dad. I don't know who else. I think Grandpa is in it. He is by you and you are by him. Go get it. It is way up high. Can you reach it? Do this with your toes so you can reach it. Can you hear the bubbles? I can. Do you hear them? You are going to stay for a long time, right? You are getting big Grandma. Everybody is getting big. Kram can reach the ceiling.

Such a funny kid. He never stops talking. He is such an observer of people and knows exactly what he wants. He reminds me a lot of my mother - never at a loss for words, interested in everything, and always knew what she liked. Good genes.

4 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

That was wonderful! Thanks for sharing your day with Zach!

trish said...

You captured exactly how it is talking to him - I loved it! That's going in his journal.

Chelle said...

That is so cute! It seriously made me laugh.

Lori A said...

I laughed, too! It made me feel like I was there. So cute!