I don't think I've ever heard of comorbidity before. In medicine, it means the presence of one or more disorders in addition to a primary disease.
I've been teaching myself about Aspergers because of a young friend I am tutoring in math.
The most common co-conditions of Aspergers are as follows:
·OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
·SPD Sensory Processing Disorder
·ADHD Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
·Depression
·Schizophrenia
·Anxiety
·Tourette's syndrome
·Dyspraxia (monotone speech, uncoordinated, low muscle tone)
·Seizures
·Bipolar Disorder
·Learning Difficulties and Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities
That's a tough list!
Most of us who suffer from none of those things have no idea how good we've got it. Years ago one of my students was in a head on collision in Sardine Canyon. I think his accident was a force behind putting up the center barriers we have now. He was a brilliant, delightful young man. His folks came from India and spent several months with him in the Ogden hospital, before they took him back to India. He had severe brain damage. He couldn't talk. He couldn't walk. I visited him several times in the hospital. I thought how thrilled we would have all been if he could have just uttered a word, smiled, or followed us with his eyes. Simple things that we don't even appreciate.
No comments:
Post a Comment