When the neighborhood kids came to play, she would send them home with an unusual container, a new pencil, or a plate of cookies. It was hard for anyone to leave her home without having something placed in their arms. In the summer, it was garden produce. After Sunday dinner, it was a plate of leftovers. At Christmas it was her homemade chocolates. If she found a unique kitchen gadget, she would buy it for you. Often, she’d call to have us drop by after work to pick up a pie (or caramel corn or cinnamon rolls) she had made for us.
After she and Dad became empty nesters, their basement apartment became a gift to grandkids or married children while students at USU - a scholarship in kind. For years running, that apartment was home to some lucky relative who enjoyed her ready laugh, her enthusiasm for life, and her love of cooking for others.
Her generosity extended to faceless others as attested by the stack of donation requests she still gets in the mail, though she has been dead four years. Her selfless legacy continues as a gift to all of us.
3 comments:
Grandma was a special woman - I miss her all the time.
Awe grandma what to say! Those 3 years spent in her basement is a treasure ill never forget. Love that lady!
I keep hoping to become more like her, but alas, I think I'm dad's clone, not mom's. Both were excellent role models, but it is hard to explain to others why I don't like decorating, am not good with colors, can grow a good garden, and love playing in dirt.
Post a Comment