Saturday, April 28, 2012

Answers to prayers...

I remember when we were in Iowa, the whole stake presidency came from our little Ames Ward. The whole stake Relief Society came from our ward too. I guess it saved on travel as the wards were spread out - but we had a VERY strong ward as well. One day a member of the stake presidency was talking about getting answers to prayers. He said, "It's funny. When I want answers to prayers for personal things, I may have to wait for months or even years, but when I need answers for the stake, the answers come almost immediately."

I was reminded of his message this week. On Tuesday, we went to the YSA RS/Elders quorum activity - Texas Two-Step. I am so not a dancer, but it was fun anyway. As we were visiting afterwards, one of the members seemed particularly excited with the doughnuts and milk. He mentioned to Steve that he had been eating Ramen Noodles and Macaroni and Cheese for the past two weeks. Between needing extra money for gasoline and needing to pay deposits for a new apartment, he was completely out of money. Steve said, "We have got so much food. Come on over after the activity and shop in our basement." He did come over and took a large box of food storage items and another large box of frozen food. I can't help but think that even when we can't always get the answers we seek, we can still be an answer to someone else's prayer.

I had a similar experience on Thursday night. By the time Steve left for his YSA meeting at the bishop's house, I was in my jammies happily reading my book in bed. I had been reading for a few minutes when the thought hit me, "Your cell phone is in the other room and you have no landline. If someone wanted to get hold of you, they couldn't." I obediently went into the other room to grab my cell phone. Not five minutes later, Steve called. He couldn't find Tony's house. He had looked in the phone directory, but he picked the wrong Tony Smith and was led astray. Part of his cognitive issues manifest themselves with navigation. I talked him to his destination.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Wonderful stories. It is so nice when you are in tune and can be an answer to someone else's prayers.