Monday, August 22, 2011

Elder Bednar

On Saturday night, Elder Bednar spoke to the YSA in the valley. The format was interesting. He took questions from the audience - either verbal or texted to his IPAD. He prepared them by saying he didn't want obscure questions, but ones which would benefit the audience.

Someone asked about finding a mate. His response was so direct. He said, "Some people make a list of all the attributes they want in a mate. That is the height of arrogance. If you found someone who had all those attributes, what makes you think they would pick you? Realize you are not marrying a finished product, but potential. Rather than make a list of attributes for your mate, make a list of attributes YOU will work on. As you seek to better yourself in those ways, you will be attractive to those who are also working on those attributes."


















Steve had said we should stay home to make room for the young single adults, but I told him we didn't even know if we would be taking someone else's seats. I was glad we went. It helped to get a vision of where they are and what their concerns are. In church on Sunday, there were no less than a dozen references to his comments. We needed to be there.

On Monday night, we went to a "meet the bishopric" get together. Probably 40 youth showed up. As we went around the circle to give introductions and say something unique about ourselves, there were a range of situations. Some were just out of high school. Some were nearly thirty. One fellow was back from service in the Airforce. One just received his mission call. Another had just returned. Some stood at the sidelines, not talking to anyone. Some came with a brother or a sister. One said, "I'm really not doing anything with my life." Another said, "I love to run. I don't run as much since I got cut from the high school track team, but I still love to run." In personal conversation, one gal had graduated from USU and was a secretary for the institute. She said she might go on for grad school in statistics, but it was hard to plan as she might get married and move away. I said, "Oh, are you dating anyone?" "No." She is a doll, so she might get married and move away, but still, it's not exactly my choice of game plans.

We have a family with five kids in our ward (the Fronks). They have thirteen kids, so five in our ward should be no real surprise I guess. They are such neat kids. They said they couldn't come to the meet the bishop night as it was family home evening, and they never miss their family home evening. I found THAT impressive.

I am going to love this calling!

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Elder Bednar is good at saying things like they are - no beating around the bush. I made almost the same comment to Brandon when he was dating forever and talked about his list! Looks like it will be a fun calling for Steve, and by association, you. Maybe they should call you as Relief Society liasson so you can go with him on Sundays too!

Vicki said...

That I attend on Sunday is the expectation. The other wives have young kids, so I'm the one who will be there. That seems to be the general rule around here. When the husband is called to a ysa bishopric, the wife goes too (unless they have young kids).