Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Is he nice or crazy?

Chelle was admitted into the hospital on Monday. We hope she'll be there six weeks - waiting for the twins to be big enough to thrive outside the womb. On her first night there, I called and asked, "Is your husband still there? If so I'll call back." She said, "Oh, he's spending the night." I was SURPRISED! Is he just a nice guy or is he crazy? I have spent enough nights at the hospital, both as a patient and as a loved-one, that I know it is an experience to be avoided at all costs. People are in and out of the room all night - checking, prodding, poking. Morning begins before the rooster ever thought of crowing. The light flashes in your eyes as technicians enter and leave. Monitors get out of whack and start beeping. The recliners could pass for torture chambers - not long enough to get comfortable, collapsing into their upright position as you move. If you have to use the bathroom, the patients bathroom is usually off-limits so you are wandering down the hall to find public facilities. You are sleeping in your street clothes - and there is nothing comfortable about that. A night in the hospital is spelled I-N-S-O-M-N-I-A! With a young child or very sick individual who needs someone to speak for them or who is too frightened to stay alone, I have often spent the night at the hospital, but I've never considered staying when my presence was just a matter of nicety.

Yet Ben stayed - just to keep her company. I'm not sure that he isn't a bit crazy, but it sure is nice to know that my daughter and grandkids have such a loving husband and father.

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Wow - Nice, nice, nice! ( and a little bit crazy!) Which hospital is she in?

Vicki said...

She's in the University of Utah hospital.

The Sullengers said...

That is really nice of him! Was he just staying that first night? I think I would want Kash with me at least the first night even if it sounds crazy! I loved having him around when I had Hudson and don't know what I would have done without him or my mom