Monday, November 15, 2010

Sociometric games

Kim asked for some ideas for a get acquainted luncheon at work. I found this idea

Sociometric activities engage people in representing social dynamics in physical space using their bodies. Ask a series of questions such as "Who in this room would you choose for help with a difficult client?" Each person is told, "Show your choice by placing your right hand on the shoulder of the person you choose. Move about the room as you need to in order to make your choice. There are only two requirements: (1) you may choose only one person and (2) you must choose someone."


In my data structures class, I needed to discuss graphs. The activity suggested sounds like a human graph. I was curious how it would work with a group, so I tried it with my class.   This group has been together for ten weeks or so.  I asked, "If you needed help with an assignment, who would you go to for help?"  I saw one student smiling at me so I quickly added, "Other than the instructor."   It took a few moments for the group to respond.  I was curious what kind of patterns would emerge and who would be the most sought after helper.  One guy is totally brilliant.  He has made insightful comments all semester.  He is a math major in a CS class, so he likely doesn't know the others much.  No one picked him.  After a minute's hesitation, he selected someone close to him.  I was surprised no one recognized his brilliance.  I picked up on it quickly - before I'd seen scores on anything.

Some people who routinely study together, picked each other, as you would expect.

The most interesting result, however, were the women in the group.  In a class of 34, there are only four women.  One woman has a study group - so she was included in that group.  The other three women were sitting by each other before I had them stand for the activity.  When I asked them to pick someone they would go to for help, they each placed their hand on their OWN shoulder.  That made for an interesting discussion about self loops, but I found it telling.  I'm not sure exactly what it means.  Are they so bright they don't need help?  (They actually do quite well, but are not the star students.)  Do they just not fit in?  We  have so few women in CS that group dynamics are sometimes challenging.  But, how sad that the best person you can go to for help is yourself. 

I have had some trials lately - some personal and some work related.  While we are taught to go to our Heavenly Father for help, He often works through others.  I have definitely felt His tender mercies as several people have called or sent email.  They know nothing of what is going on, but He does and has prompted them to contact me. It reminds me how much we need each other in this life.  So, if you have your hand on your own shoulder, find another shoulder to rely on and make sure your shoulder is inviting to others.

2 comments:

Cherri said...

That was very insightful. I should try that with my calculus class. I have very small groups this year, and still can't see a couple of my strugglers relying on anyone but themselves. The whole group would be strengthened with some more sharing. One very bright young man, when I made the comment that if he had extra time he could help others, said, "no one else needs help." My two strugglers admitted later that they both thought, "I do, can't you see my need?"

Lori A said...

Love that idea!