Sunday, November 14, 2010

Popeye - the master fixer upper

I am teaching a ton this semester (for a variety of reasons that I wont' go into here).  In my data structures classes, I have had the following comments from students in the last week or two:

1. I am getting married mid-semester and leaving on my honeymoon shortly thereafter.  I'll miss over a week of class and the exam.  Can I take the exam early?

2. I turned in the wrong assignment.  I had it done on time, but inadvertently turned in a previous assignment again.  It is now over  a week late.  What can be done?

3. I didn't see the last two problems on the written assignment as there was a problem with the posting.  I failed the assignment because of that.

4. I scored poorly on the exam.  I know the material, but  I just have test anxiety.

5. I somehow messed up turning in the assignment.  I have no back up as I did it in the tutor room.

The trick is to help them with their problems without disadvantaging others or encouraging them to be "special cases" in the future.  In all cases, we were able to come up with a solution which they were pleased with.

Still others came to me with deeper questions: 
1. Do I belong in this major?  I told my mother that if I couldn't succeed I would go back to child development, but I don't want to.  
2. I may have ADD.  I sat in the break room for an hour looking at this, but getting nothing done.
3. It is hard to decide a major when you don't know the future.  Will you marry?  Will your husband's career need to take you to a distant location.  How do I pursue my dreams, yet plan to give it up to stay home and raise a family?

Those questions don't have a pat answer, and ultimately need to be answered by the individual themselves.  Yet, I serve as a sounding board.

When I was a kid, I used to pretend to be Popeye - running around to solve other people's problems and eating marshmallows (in lieu of spinach).  I'm thinking my role as teacher is a fulfillment of that childhood dream.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Hey, I always ate the spinach! Marshmallows? Huh?

I don't think I have the wisdom to cope with all the things I deal with. I need to ask for more divine help!