Monday, June 7, 2010

How to post pictures

Take a look at the Lee Hurst History link from my blog.  I'm trying to put Mom's history on the blog so you can comment and add your own entries.  However, adding pictures is PAINFUL.   I can only add them one at a time (and they are slow to upload).  And once I get them there, I can't arrange them.

Google tells me of a great way to add a bunch of pictures at at time (through an email post), but since my mailer makes me add pictures one at a time AND limits the size of my emails - that didn't work too well.  I don't have anything like a "select all" under attachments.  Google also tells me I can drag files into the attachments, but that didn't work either.  I'm using Outlook Web Access Light.  Maybe I just need a new mailer.

Any hints would be appreciated - as well as any entries you want to make in Mom's history.

3 comments:

Cherri said...

I wonder if adding pictures to a website versus a blog would be easier. We should get Lori Hurst helping us - she either has a very fast connection, or is very patient, because she posts tons of pictures. I have experienced the same thing, but I know that it is my internet connection. I waited 10 minutes for a 2 minute video to upload.

Lori Hurst said...

First - I do have a very fast connection and I can upload photos rather quickly, but have not seen a way around that one at a time thing.

I have made a blog post titled: For Vicki with three examples of ways you could put photos (but not really) in your blog using an uploader. The first it Picasa - Gmails and bloggers place that stores all the photos that you put in your blog. You can link to it from your gmail account and upload in bulk to an album. Then take the html link and when in the html version of editing a post - copy the link in and you will see the first photo of the album. Click on it and you will see the album - like you do on mine.

The second is if you put a photo album in facebook it provides a link at the bottom of the album that lets you link to it. I highlighted Missing Norway and attached the link to it. You could just as easily download one photo and attach the link to the photo so that when you click on the photo it takes you to your album over in facebook.

The third way is I have photos in an account at www.photobucket.com. You can have a free account over there but I think advertising is connected to it so I just pay the $30 a year for a professional version. I can add the html the same way as the picasa album, but it shows as a slide show - which might not be what you want. The advantage of this is that no one can grab one of your photos and steal one. I could have just have easily linked to an album rather than a slide show and that would show you the album just like the other two do.

I know they don't embed the photos directly in your blog and the big disadvantage to this is if you ever publish it, they would not be there. I will keep looking to see if I can find a way to bulk upload to the blog itself (maybe something through picasa) but I have not found it yet.

Any ideas anyone? I would love to bulk upload to blogger ...

Vicki said...

Picasa was great! In fact, the other pictures I had uploaded to the blog were already stored on the Picasa web album. It did move a whole directory to the album with one click - so that was very convenient. I have worried that if I lost my machine (and its backup) I would lose my only copy of things. It is nice to have a remote backup. I also liked the way it found all the pictures on your whole machine. There's still a lot I need to figure out about it.

My main concern now is how Blurt inserts pictures into a book if the pictures from the blog aren't automatically inserted.