Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dot to dot

I have been reading several books by Sue Monk Kidd. In an early book, Firstlight, she says that she keeps one of those dot-to-dot pictures, a gift from a four-year-old, on her desk. A complicated picture is formed by simply moving the pencil from dot to dot – in many cases, the "artist" does not even know what she is drawing. On days when I can’t see where my life is going or tremble at the fears of the unknown, I cling to that image and tell myself, “Dot to Dot. You do not need to solve everything at once. Just move to the next dot.”

In a recent CES fireside address, Elder Christofferson's message was similar.He states, "In the 1950s my mother survived radical cancer surgery, but difficult as that was, the surgery was followed with dozens of painful radiation treatments in what would now be considered rather primitive medical conditions. She recalls that her mother taught her something during that time that has helped her ever since: “I was so sick and weak, and I said to her one day, ‘Oh, Mother, I can’t stand having 16 more of those treatments.’ She said, ‘Can you go today?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘Well, honey, that’s all you have to do today.’ It has helped me many times when I remember to take one day or one thing at a time.” I love that.


1 comment:

Cherri said...

I love the words to "Lead Thou Me On" Hymn no. 97. "Keep thou my feet. I do not ask to see - the distant scene, one step enough for me." I can do dot to dot, and everytime I try to plan more, I get discouraged. I read a book named "Promise Me" by Richard Paul Evans. One of his characters says in her diary, "We rarely worry about the correct things." I know that I don't - I worry about things that don't even happen, and am caught off guard by things that do happen.