Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Applesauce

We made applesauce this week - a gift from the yellow transparent tree (the only one which really ever produces much). The victorio strainer makes it SO MUCH easier, as you don't have to peel or core the apples. I did core them, however, because enough were wormy I didn't want any surprises.

However, in hours worked, those 23 pints took between four and six hours - hardly a good investment if you were paying yourself anything. I choose to count it this way: the hours I spent picking apples and bottling applesauce were cheap "entertainment" - as I spent no money while I was working.

Steve made the comment, "You really don't see other ladies canning, do you?" I thought, "No, because they are smart. I could buy applesauce for less than a dollar a can and be done with it in ten minutes." Yet, canning is almost a heritage for me. I have so many memories of Mom snipping beans, canning peaches, bottling cherries, making applesauce, freezing corn. During the summer months, Dad spend several hours a night planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, and fertilizing. It was a big part of their lives.

While I do love the fresh produce, finding a way to utilize the bounties from the yard seems part of the stewardship. Mom and Dad were both great stewards of what they had been given. They canned it or gave it away. Nothing was wasted.

Next year may be I'll go with the "give it away" option - but I'll need to spray, as not many people want wormy apples, even if they're free.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

I have the same guilt - every bounty my garden and yard produces, I feel like I need to give away or can. I can just hear the Lord saying - "Remember last year when you let the green beans get so big they were worthless? Why do you expect those bounties to keep coming your way?"