Sunday, August 15, 2010

Signs of Fall

It took me years to appreciate Fall. When I was a student and would see the "back to school" advertisements, I would be filled with sudden dread. While I have always loved school and learning, school was always filled with anxiety - and a sadness for the end of summer. Once it was time for graduate school, Fall brought the anxiety of new classes, a new apartment, life away from family. As a Mom, Fall meant the end of delightful times with the kids and the stress of homework and daily demands. After my PhD, Fall brought the stress of new preparations, a rigid schedule, and lots of work. It's only been the last few years when the back to school signs don't elicit any stress.

At the lake, the six inch pond on the beach was colder than the lake - a sign that evening temperatures are dipping. Our tomato plants are eye level. We've only harvested a dozen cherry tomatoes, but if the weather will just hold out, we should have bucket loads. The raspberries have dwindled. Plums are getting ripe. Beans are producing enough to keep us is beans for dinner every day. The peppers are trying hard to get enough sun to thrive. We've even harvested a few cucumbers - and to think I thought they were squash! I planted so many cucumbers and squash that died, I wasn't sure what was planted where. The yellow transparent apples are WONDERFUL. I'm reminded of Grandma Hurst every time I get out my salt shaker to enjoy their tart flavor.

We start into college and department retreats this week. Yes, Fall is definitely coming.

No comments: