In our personal history class, they challenged us to keep a journal. I was amazed at how much help the blog is in trying to piece together a journal. I thought there would be an easy way of downloading my blog's content (and putting everything in chronological order). I found ways of creating a book (but then I couldn't insert other things). I found a way of getting an electronic copy, but paying $8 seemed wrong. You shouldn't have to pay to download the content in a reasonable format. I finally just cut and pasted the entries one at a time into Word. There MUST be a better way.
I'm heading to Wisconsin this week for a SIGCSE panel. I could get pretty excited to be headed to Hawaii or Florida, but Wisconsin in March sounds about as depressing as Cache Valley. I really shouldn't complain, though. Today was BEAUTFUL. Steve and I even went on our regular summer walk (only slipping for a little bit of the time). Tomorrow is supposed to get to 41. SLC has been having nice weather, but we haven't. I can't wait for Spring. I'm already plotting where I can plant tomatoes. I have an awesome recipe needing sun dried tomatoes, and sadly, I'm all out of sun-dried tomatoes.
Since I lost last Saturday to work and will be gone next Saturday for work, I decided today should be purely for me. I started reading "The Diary of Mattie Spenser" and have just been transported. Thanks to all you who share what you are reading on Goodreads. What a marvelous creation.
I went to a baptism today (for Ashley, whose family I have been tending for for a few weeks on Tuesday evenings). It was so nice. I had forgotten how much I like baptisms. There were a few things that were different. For each baptism, they opened and closed the door in front of the baptismal font - being symbolic. They also have added folding curtains on either end of the hallway (where the baptismal font is located) and a glass panel in front of the font. It was fun to share the day with her family.
Drew had a scare and was back in the ER on Thursday night. In talking to Lori, she said he had been sick for a few days. After he woke up one night, particularly distressed, she asked, "What hurts?" He responded, "I do!" What a darling boy. He is such a joy. Hopefully, he is continuing to improve.
I can tell its fast Sunday tomorrow. I'm already craving food. I tried a really good and easy recipe for crock pot burritos (that I got from Kellie at our enrichment crock pot activity). This is a definite keeper. The meat was so tender, it took no effort to shred it. I lifted out some chunks of fat, but the sauce that remained was remarkably fat free and yummy.
Pork Roast Burritos
In a crockpot add:
1 pork roast, salt and peppered
1 large onion, chopped (I used dried plus a little water)
2 cans pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 bottle barbecue sauce (I used KC Masterpiece)
1 small jar apricot jam (about a cup)
Directions
Cook on low for 8-10 hours. After cooking, take the roast out and use two forks to shred into pieces. Make burritos as desired. I use tortillas (warmed in the microwave), pork, beans, and some sauce from the crock pot, sour cream, guacamole, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, etc. (I think some cooked rice would also be good.) I have a ton of apricot jam, so if you live close enough to grab some, drop by.
Here's my recipe that has got me craving sun-dried tomatoes. They are the flash of flavor that makes this recipe great.
TUSCAN CHICKEN CAVATAPPI RECIPE
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, each breast cut into ¼ inch strips
1 cup balsamic vinaigrette (commercial, or use recipe below)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion or shallots
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons minced garlic (I use canned garlic by Christopher Ranch)
2 cups fresh spinach (washed and trimmed)
handful of sun dried tomatoes
1 cup dry Marsala wine
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh (or frozen) Italian parsley leaves, plus whole sprigs, for garnish
1 box of cavatappi (aka cellentani or double elbows) (Walmart carries Barilla brand Cellentani)
About an hour (or longer) before you plan to start cooking, slice the chicken and place in a Ziploc bag with the vinaigrette. Let marinate in refrigerator.
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until cooked, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cool slightly.
While the chicken cools, melt butter to the same skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onion and sun dried tomatoes, then saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic, then saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 12 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and mustard.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cavatappi and cook until al dente (11 minutes), stirring occasionally. Drain. Toss with sauce and serve over the fresh spinach leaves.
3 comments:
I used blurb.com to do my book. It quickly downloads everything, but then you can go through and add pages, delete pages, add pictures, change layouts on the page. I found it fairly easy to work with. I'm a little worried, though, because it costs about 35 to have the book printed, but then it's a nice hardcover, archival book. Good luck! (the download is free!)
I'm glad you like the Diary of Mattie Spenser. I thought they were fun to read and also taught about tolerance.
You need to meet your grandkids down in Salt Lake at the Gateway Mall at Discovery World (I think). It was so fun for Sarah, Abby and Griff, and Zach, Drew, and Brooke would love it. Halle would probably like it too, if it wasn't too busy and there weren't pushy older kids there.
I used blurb also and just got my book's back this week and LOVE them. It is super easy to use and the program downloads the content for you from your blog and you just re-arrange and add or delete. Just like your friend mentioned in the first comment!
I'm excited to try your recipes - always looking for new ones!
Post a Comment