The wedding is finally over. I can't believe the amount of time that Vicki and Chelle spent on it including the reception. Every time I would turn around, there would be something new that had been purchases for the reception. A few times I would ask, "How much is this costing us?" and Vicki would tell me not to worry. I really don't know why I asked because Vicki is in charge of the money, and if she spends it, we have it. Looking back, the money spent was well worth it. I still don't know how much it cost!
I have a few reflection about the wedding and the reception
All the kids came home when Chelle took our her endowments. Even though this was only two weeks before the wedding, they came home. It was such a sweet experience to be in the temple with the entire family for the first time. It touched me heart to have everyone there. There were many others there also and I appreciated that.
Then two weeks later everyone returned again for the marriage. This included my immediate family as well as my and Vicki's siblings. I can't tell you how important family is during these times. In the temple, I looked around and saw all the family there, my eyes teared up. What an effort those folks made to come and share the day with us; it meant so much to me. I'm sure Gary traveled the greatest distance from Austrialia. But no matter how close or far, we appreciated the effort made to come.
We didn't know the man that sealed Chelle and Ben. He was an old man (92 years old). I was a little concerned because I'd heard a story about an older sealer in the Salt Lake temple that took over 45 minutes for the sealing and didn't do a very good job. So I didn't have high expectations for this sealer. I was SO wrong. When he introduced himself, he had the same last name and from the same city, Grace, ID, as a friend of mine. I later found out that my friend is his nephew. He did a wonderful job. He told appropriate stories and experiences he had with the Brethern. It was great. I guess I shouldn't make assumptions about things before they happen.
During the sealing, the sealer mentioned that he didn't think Heavenly Father would keep those that had already passed on from attending the sealing. Right then, tears came to eyes because I knew that my father and Vicki's parents were there witnessing the wedding. What a blessing the teachings of the Church are to us. After the sealing, Jill came up and said, "I saw you tear up when the sealer said that there were those from the other side that were there. I knew they were there too."
We had a great time at the reception. I was in my element. I enjoyed so much talking to everyone that came. Once again, I was overwhelmed by the turn out of friends and family. It meant so much to me that everyone would spend so much time and effort to get there and make the occasion better.
When the reception was over, it didn't take us much time to clean up everything because many people stayed and help. My home teacher took the presents home and put them in my garage. Steve and Cherri stayed and took many decorations that they can use with Ashley's upcoming wedding.
By the time I got home, I was tired but pleased with the day. Once again I'm so pleased for the efforts people made to be her and help us celebrate Chelle's wedding day.
What I learned, family is so important. Vicki and I a have great family and both of us come from great families. Vicki and I are truly blessed.
2 comments:
So sorry I couldn't be there. You made it come alive for me and that is better than nothing!
I know those from the other side were there. Sweet post.
Post a Comment