Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Lonely Week

It's been a different week. It has been rather lonely since Mom was in Boise for the entire week. She returns this morning and I will be glad to see her.

This week has given me a lot of empathy for Grandma Allan and Grandma Hurst, both of which lost their spouses. Grandma Allan has been a widow for seven years. Great grandmother Rees was a widow for over 20 years. It get pretty lonely sitting in the house by yourself. I think I need to be better about visiting Grandmother Allan during the week.

Tuesday evening I was "on call" to participate in a disciplinary action with the stake. They didn't know if there would be enough men from the high council there. I didn't need to go because enough men showed up.

On Wednesday, I went to my regular group meeting; it was really nice. My partner was in Peru doing an engineering service project, so I was there alone. There were four others there. I enjoy meeting with the group, and since I was out of town the previous week, it was nice to be back.

On Thursday, the high priest group had John Fowles give a presentation on the temple. I really enjoyed his presentation, but there weren't too many there. After the little meeting, we all went to the temple. I enjoyed the session very much and got home about 9:30pm. It was good that I didn't have to sit home another evening by myself.

During the week I went into school four times. Some of those days weren't very productive since I was dealing with things in the department. On Friday, I "let" the department buy me a new laptop. Apparently there is a little money left in the budget that needed to be spent, so I helped them with their problem. I bought an IMAC pro. It is going to take me some time to get used to this laptop, but it is a new toy. I like the possibility of having three different operating systems on it. You have the one the comes with it, then I'll add Vista and some flavor of Linux.

Yesterday I went over to Grandma Hurst's and did something around the house. The painter had finished so I put the face plates back on to cover the outlets and light switches. I did some cleaning up around the house and packed up more stuff that needed to go. The house is supposed to close on June 27. While I was there the house inspector for the family that is buying the house dropped by to make sure everything was okay with the home. He found a couple of things that need to be taken care of, but they shouldn't be much of a problem. He was from Providence so I spent at least a half an hour just talking with him. He really was a nice guy.

Our garage is filling up with things from Grandma Hurst's home. I don't know what we are going to do with it all. I'm sure Mom will find some use for it.

Well, Mom called a little while ago saying she had landed in SLC. I really missed her and am glad she is home. I know she had a great time in Boise because I would receive 3 or 4 calls a day telling me what was going on. I hope that meant that she was missing me too.

1 comment:

trish said...

You updated your blog! I'm still waiting on that subscription feature so I don't miss any updates! Hope all is well. Sorry we won't be seeing you on Father's Day.