Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blindness, the last frontier

The YSA is having a turkey dinner for 150 on Monday!

I woke up at six this morning (how I hate that I can't sleep). I finished my book, dyed my hair, and made nine loaves of bread and a batch of cookie dough. I'd had to grind the wheat and start the turkeys thawing in the sink for a few hours (as I never trust them to totally thaw in the fridge) I was meeting our FHE leader to go shopping at ten, so I had Steve help me spread butter in the pans as I threw the bread dough into them. The kitchen was a mess - with dirty pans in the sink and the wheat grinder on the counter. I left him a note: "Let rise until 10:30. Bake at 350. Cook for 35 minutes. Use both ovens."

Shandy and I went shopping to order pies/rolls and buy paper products, salad, dressing, and green beans at Sam's Club. Who knew that Sam's was such a social place. I saw a dozen people I knew and got three phone calls while we were there. After I dropped Shandy off at her house and unloaded some of the food, I ran to Macey's for a few things that were cheaper there. I decided to pick up forty pounds of ice, as our bishop's wife said they had plenty of room in their freezer and I had to stop by their home anyway. Plus, it would mean one less thing to pick up on Monday. I forgot about ice until the last minute when the clerk was filling out the paperwork for the charge. When I got to the ice machines as I left the store, I threw in the ice and headed to my car. Low and behold, I had eighty pounds of ice. While I was checking out, they had already loaded forty pounds of ice under my cart, and I had never seen them. How did they do that? Embarrassed, I hauled the ice I had loaded back.

Anyway, I got home just before one - some three hours after I had left. I walked in and there sat half of the loaves of bread. Steve hadn't even seen them. He baked five loaves (in two ovens :-)), had eaten half of one, had waited til they cooled, bagged them, and put them in the freezer - ALL without seeing the other four loaves. My kitchen is NOT that big nor was it that messy - as he had done a lot of the dishes by the time I got home.

Blindness --- the last frontier.

I baked them anyway - so we'll have to see how they taste.

1 comment:

Lori A said...

Good luck with the dinner tomorrow! Sounds like fun!

At least some of the loaves got cooked and put away! I can't believe you made so many loaves of bread! Maybe I need to get up that early on a Saturday!